McDonnell Douglas F-4J Phantom II Navy version model kit 1/32Tamiya
The cockpit is definitely Navy. There is the proper wall on the right side of the rear cockpit instead of the console found in the USAF examples. There are no flight controls in the back office either. The ejection seats are made up of four pieces, are nicely detailed and were designed to accommodate the two crew figures included in the kit.
The larger instrument panels are multi-piece affairs that feature decals for instrument faces. This renders the same effect as the acetate instruments used by companies like Eduard.
The landing gear struts are white metal parts that are screwed into the wheel wells for strength. Plastic overlays provide detail to these metal struts. The tires are rubber that are mounted on plastic rims.
Among the other features that Tamiya has provided:
- Beautifully detailed cockpits
- Postionable canopies
- Optional crew figures
- Positionable boarding ladder
- Nice intake ducting w/J79 engine faces
- Equally nice afterburner chambers
- Highly detailed wheel wells
- White metal gear struts
- Rubber tires on styrene wheels
- Positionable speed brakes
- Separately molded outer wing panels that have hinge detail but you'll need to provide your own hinges to pose the outer panels folded
- Positionable air refueling probe
- Movable stabilator with anhedral molded into part!
- 4 x AIM-9B Sidewinders
- 4 x AIM-7E Sparrows
- 2 x 370 gallon outboard tanks
- 1 x 600 gallon centerline tank
There are two large decal sheets in the kit that carry the three marking options and all of the stencils. These include:
- F-4J, 155800, VF-96, NG/100, USS Constellation, CAG
- F-4J, 155579, VF-151, NF/216, USS Midway
- F-4J, 155281, VMFA-451, AA/211, USS Forrestal (Bicentennial Markings)